Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'm not a stripper.


During the summer, I get strong, unusual cravings for tragically campy cinema. For the past four or five summers, I have gone to the video store (do they still call it that?) with my family seeking out horrible and hilarious movies. Typically it ends up being a horror film (I stand by the original Amityville Horror being THE funniest of the horrors), but once in awhile, something outside of the horror genre will produce glorious, golden camp. I give you Showgirls. If you haven't seen this movie, please, go watch it now. Well, maybe not all of you, considering it is NC-17, but you should at least catch the edited for tv version they show onVh1. The 1995 film stars Elizabeth Berkley (you know, Jessy from Saved by the Bell? Who can forget!). "A young drifter, named Nomi, arrives in Las Vegas to become a dancer and soon sets about clawing and pushing her way to become the top of the Vegas showgirls." (thanks, IMBD) As if that shouldn't lure you into seeing this film, I have found upon recent viewing that the 90's threads Nomi (what a name) acquires after reaching some stardom are really kind awesome in the way that only early ninetie's clothes can be. She has a penchant for Versace, all things body concious, and fringe...or really anything that adds a strange urban cowgirl element to the ensemble. Unfortunately, there are very few photos of some of the costuming, so I decided to compile a little collage of WWNW -- what would Nomi wear? Try not to be too dazzled by my paint skillz, now.
I don't know how many strippers, I mean, dancers, should actually serve as inspiration for any wardrobe. But damn it, if loving Nomi is wrong, I just don't want to be right!

6 comments:

Human Racing said...

Wow, I've never heard of Showgirls. But I must say, watching crappy movies have provided me with many hilarious memoreis.

Sam said...

that first picture is so cool! if they do it correctly, showgirls can sometimes look okay.

Ana said...

Haha sounds so fun!
Stop by my blog
xoxo

Unknown said...

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

you are fantastic!!!

a kiss for you, my dear friend!

god bless u dear

can we exchange our link

r u ready to do?


hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

você é fantástico!

um beijo para você, meu caro amigo!

Deus te abençoe u Caro

podemos trocar os nossos link

r u disposta a fazer?

Richel said...

I'm such a sucker for horrible films. I usually just meander san francisco in search of local movie stores with the most fantastically horrible films they have to offer.

Ada [The Duchess] said...

Yup! I have SHOWGIRLS on DVD at my house. Slightly embarassing because outsiders don't quite understand the appeal. I'm not a stripper either! There is something stranglely empowering aside from the er....content. From feminist Jessie in SAVED BY THE BELL to this. Some mocked it, but I enjoyed it.