Sunday, February 17, 2008

Designer Impostor

There are few things that get me more excited on a boring day than the blossoming idea of what could be a fantastic Do-It-Yourself fashion project.  In junior high, I transformed rad childrens' vintage T-shirts into slouchy (read: ill made) totes.  In high school, I took old jeans and destroyed them into then-trendy perfection (read: I fell in the school parking lot in my vintage Lee's and tore a huge hole in the jeans and an even bigger one in my knee).  Alright, so I admit that some of my DIYs were shotty and unplanned, but I am feeling some confidence with the ones I am about to present to you, dear, chic readers!  With all the time I have on my hands being inside away from the dreary cold, snow, and ice, I will continue my obsessive daydreaming of spring.    
Firstly, there is the lego-headband!  Inspired by Marc by Marc's Spring 2008 RTW runway.  Hot pink Manic-Panic streaks and fierce Ali Michaels eyebrows are optional (and totally rocking!).    Nicole at http://ohredlipstick.blogspot.com/ has a great DIY project for a Marc-esque lego ring, too! 




Ingredients for this DIY include:
Headband (color of your choice)
Hot Glue, or other crazy adhesive 
Some assorted legos
Off center, create whatever kind of geometric lego monument you would like, cementing the pieces in place with glue as you go.  I've even considered mounting a little lego man on the headband as well, but it's up to you how you create your fashionable homage to childhood!  Let it dry completely, wear, and let the spring sunshine beam against the shiny plastic masterpiece!

Next, I give you Pollock BVDs, courtesy of Spring 2008 from Dolce and Gabbana.
  


Ingredients:
Mens oversized grey undershirt  
Assorted Fabric Paints

I chose to leave the style of the undershirt open, because this would look way cool on a V-neck, crew-neck, or any other shape you may want to cut yourself!  As for the paint colors, the Dolce T-shirt smears dark, bruise-colored paints on the fabric, but I think some neon paint splatters would be really fresh and on trend.  After you've figured out what kind of T-shirt and colors you want to feature on your work of art (quite literally), go to town!  Brush, splatter, and splat all the fabric paint you deem necessary.  Directions vary on fabric paints, so be sure and see what is directed for your brand as far as what to do post-painting goes.  Once that is completed, your shirt is as ready-to-wear as the D&G version above!  I plan on tucking mine into something high waisted, like the tulip skirt in the photo, accenting it with a belt, and adding a little slouchy cuff to the sleeves.  Jackson would be proud!

If I get my hands on the materials and a digital camera, I can post a follow-up on my own encounters with these DIYs.  In the mean time, let me know if you try them!  I'd love to see and post photos!  Email me at style.alamoda@gmail.com 
Hopefully these little projects will put a smile on your face and a Spring in your step!
  

6 comments:

T said...

Lego DIY's are so fun

The Stylish Wanderer said...

Hmm. Id love to read all of this, but Im sick so I'll wait till I have the ingrediants and feel better. So many people are showing the DIY lego thing.

Wendy said...

I want to make myself a lego headband asap!

Unknown said...

I don't get the whole lego thing, but it does make me wish for my old lego houses I used to make. I love your DIY memories, though, the sweatshirt turned bag is fantastic. =]

The Stylish Wanderer said...

I love your blog. YOU ARE LINKED!!!

The Stylish Wanderer said...

(Sorry for the caps, Im overly excited sometimes)