Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lovely Weather We're Having

On the cusp of March, the weather here is finally beginning to show some signs of promise.  The ice is melting, my chances of slipping and falling on campus have lessened, and sunny days over 35 degrees are starting to outnumber those that are subzero and overcast.  I admit, I cannot go play outside, barelegged, in a dress, but just forgoing the extra layers I usually require in the morning is beyond refreshing.  Warm spring days remind of a few things: track meets in junior high, walking on barren railroad tracks, and The Virgin Suicides.  While the book by Jeffrey Eugenides is fantastic, allowing you to create your own perception of the Lisbon girls and how the light may hit their identical blonde locks while they lounge on the lawn, the images in the Sofia Coppola film version are beautiful.  Although the subject matter is dark, the light-soaked motif, breezy 70's threads, and green grasses are anything but.  Something about watching it just makes me yearn to throw on something made of sheer cotton, let my hair air dry, and lay out on my old high school's football field at dusk in the dewy grass.   Rent and/or read it, and find your own inspiration in the words and images surrounding Lux, Cecelia, Mary, Therese, and Bonnie.  You may even find yourself in a new, sun-drenched light. 





9 comments:

ashley said...

I can not wait till spring fully arrives :) i can finally break into my dresses.

The Stylish Wanderer said...

I LOVE Spring, look at my new post its got a mention of spring.

lee jones said...

the virgin suicides is such a beautiful film.
i love it, seriously.



LOVE

lee jones said...

yea i'd love to switch links : )

Wendy said...

Its basically spring where I live and I love the new weather!

Aisha said...

while your loving hot weather, i can't wait until it gets a little bit colder here!

J said...

I love Sofia Coppola's films, even though they all deal with different settings/time periods she has a very discernible style. This one in particular makes me want to take a nap outside on the grass in the sun...

Anonymous said...

I realized that while I've seen you comment on my blog a few times, I'd never visited yours so I decided to come take a peek.

your blog is so adorable and I love this post. I'm definately adding you as one of my favourite blogs.

ciao!

l'amour de mode said...

I absolutely love those photos, and I am definitely going to take a look at the virgin suicides (: