Thursday, February 21, 2008

Like a Rhinestone Cow(girl)boy

Do not be fooled.  Despite the fact that I am what could best be described as a slave to fashion, I grew up in a land very far away from fashion civilization (although with the help of a stylish and vintage obsessed mother, I learned to cope through thrift stores).  As a child, I eagerly gathered eggs from the hen house, went fishing, and played in fields.  I can count baby chicks, a miniature horse, a lamb, and a pot belly pig as pets from my past.  Rodeo grounds were a block from my school.  Naturally, a part of me has a fondness for small-town charm and western nostalgia--and fashions.  While I understand that cowboy boots reached their peak of popularity when Sienna Miller had everyone under a 'boho-chic' (what a hyphenate) spell, I have been having a yearning for my beat up black cowboy boots lately.  Without them being in reach, I perused a website called bootbarn.com, and discovered the standard cowboy boot's softer, girlier, side-saddle riding cousin: The Roper Boot.  

With a tapered toe and shorter style, these boots seem more flirty than farmhand--plus, this pair is red! The ones pictured above are Justin brand, from bootbarn.com (yes, I am serious). Lucky for me, there are western stores left and right back home for me to peruse and find the little roper boots of my urban cowgirl dreams, sans shipping and handling prices! It makes me want to go frolic on the river bank!  I imagine the crimson boots adding some toughness to one of spring's swingy, high-hemmed floral numbers, or perhaps with colored denim tucked into them for a cool downtown vibe.  Or, you could channel your inner country girl and go for Marilyn Monroe as Roslyn in The Misfits.  All you would need with your ropers is a button-up and a pair of vintage, high-waisted Levi Jeans.  Oh, and the ability to pull off pig-tails.  Yeow!

7 comments:

anna. said...

how do you come up with ideas for yr posts?
they never cease to amaze me.

The Stylish Wanderer said...

Im not so fond of cowboy boots or those other ones for that matter. I just dont like the detailing and pointy toe for some reason, oh and that they remind me of Country music and I dont like country music, but Carry Underwood's Next Time He Cheats (or whatever) is stuck in my head.

Sorry for the rant .o.O

sridevi said...

I probably would not be able to pull those off :)
And I can't really imagine people in those but it's okay. I like red boots in general haha.

Wendy said...

I've never been that big of a fan of cowboy boots. I'd still want to own a pair though.

n. said...

yeah, i'm pretty anal about my writing too. i have no idea how it's going to turn out. you could always write one for the third issue though

anna. said...

i just saw u wanted to write an article for prim...
so do I, but i cant think of anything to write on about.
arent they due the 25th,
not 23?
thats what I was told,
lol.

aschlee said...

I saw this post 'n gasped. I grew up with horses 'n wearing justins 'n I actually had a pair of red boots (which I loved 'n then grew out of) and I've been wanting another pair for soooo long. Very good choice, I definitely recommend getting them you won't regret it (hope that doesn't sound weird). I'm glad you posted this it made me smile :D