Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Hat Tricks

Two days ago it was sunny and seventy.  Yesterday is was thirty-five and raining.  Today?  Five inches of snow on the ground.  Thus, classes have been cancelled and I have only left my room to sled on storage container lids and eat chocolate chip pancakes.  Obviously, pondering the stylistic details of a potential sledding outfit is a rather ridiculous idea.  I put on my oldest, sturdiest jeans over cable knit tights; layers of shirts; and even let my ugg boots out for the day (probably the longest they've seen daylight since my sophomore year of high school).  Then, in a strange turn of events, my friend and I were plucked from our private sledding soiree of sorts and interviewed by our television news station about our spectacular snow day.  Suddenly, we both became very aware of how ridiculous we looked.  She in her purple  ear-flapped hat with the pom-pom on top and floral print wayfarers, and I in my buffalo plaid news boy cap and sea foam green flat top aviators.  And I cannot be happier.  I hope that the good citizens of our town watch the news tonight and chuckle at the girls with sunglasses covering half their faces and snow in their hair.

However, I am feeling a little bitter about the weather.  Mostly because I am craving springtime.  I find it so impossible to dress the way I want and keep warm on campus while the biting wind nearly cuts right through my flesh and manages to almost whip my little red beret off of my head.  It's really easier to just stuff my hat in my backpack and hope that my forehead grazing bangs will provide some kind of miniscule amount of warmth.  With flimsy, adorable berets beginning to distress me more than aid me as an accessory in the cold (more like freezing) weather, I have begun to explore Russian Trapper Hats.  It perfectly incorporates my love for the stranger side of fashion and my love for Russian culture!


 Just look at how happy (read: creepy) this mannequin is!  Her painted smile tells me that a Russian Trapper Hat may be just the thing to keep my ears from falling off while I wait for the bus to take me to Russian class!  Brilliant!  After viewing the Fall 2008 line from Boy by Band of Outsiders, my ache for a hat of the warm, fuzzy, and Russian kind only grew.  Preferably if I can wear one with a cute little plaid dress and grey tights.  Somehow I'm thinking that the open toe heels just would not do.
 

Russian Trapper Hats: я люблю! Я хочу! мне нужен!

2 comments:

kitty said...

sure I linked your blog just not sure if I did it right so I´m gonna ask my father...

Bojana said...

I love love trapper hats, I got myself one at AEO. They look so cool.