Sunday, March 9, 2008

Athletic Support

I understand that on the surface, fashion and athletics aren't typically complements of one another.  Not exactly the you-got-peanut-butter-in-my-chocolate type of romance that fashion has with say, music.  However, it is March.  Thus, it is time to go mad over college basketball. After seeing that my beloved Kansas Jayhawks are now Big 12 regular season champions, I came to the conclusion that that this blog could benefit from a little bit of athletic support.  While I couldn't come across any vintage photos of eighties KU basketball, this photo does the job of invoking some retro urges to wear hot pants in electric color combos, like saffron yellow and eggplant.  

Fashionistas everywhere are jumping on the thigh-high sock train. Whether or not you've got Dr. Jay's moves, you can still sport these athletic striped marigold (or whichever color you so desire!) socks from American Apparel.

Of course, basketball would be nothing without the hip footwear by Chuck Taylor.  While most ballers would require some ankle support, I'm opting for the low-tops in white (considering I already have seven other colors).  
While these classics would perfectly complement any easy spring ensemble, you could always add a little more urban pep to your step with some colored trainers, like these fabulous Nike Dunks.  Great with colored skinny jeans, or even with a pretty dress, a la Lilly Allen.


Cheering for the team is so much more fun in cool sneakers or colored socks than in a mini skirt turning cartwheels.  But even if you've got no team to support this year for March Madness, you can at least rock some of the aforementioned items--you'll be such a good sport!

7 comments:

Alley said...

Okay listen fashion wannabe. Don't go to my blog again and post trash about me. So if you think all middle schoolers have no life then you don't or didn't have a life either. Think before you type you idiot! Haha!

anna. said...

hmm, i never thought to credit basketball for the lovely items such as converse and knee highs.
i already loved basketball,
but my lvoe has just gotten this much bigger.
haha.

Gloria said...

everyone needs a basic pair of converse!

Sammie said...

i'd love to trade links! i love the idea of basketball inspired athletic outfits. i'd love to try thigh high socks, but i have unbearably short legs. i'll start with the knee socks i have from soccer and lacrosse.

Secretista said...

I was never a big basketball fan, but the outcome that could possibly happen, is interesting.

Miss Chaos said...

Love the socks, I've had my eye on them for awhile. Thanks for the shopping recommendation, I'll make sure to check it out. And, I would love to like, I'm going to add yours right now.

Sammie said...

you have 30 different scarves? i would kill for that many. hmm, i guess i need to make my way to good will & my mother's closet.