Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"It's like...a totally important designer!"

Ahh, the nineties.  Being a kid was fantastic during that decade.  It meant I could wear whatever I wanted and people would smile as I was a funny and charming little girl, not a seriously deranged young adult.   I was introduced to grunge by my older brother and suddenly found it imperative that I wear the same combination flannels and converse--hot pink high tops with tweety bird, of course.  A Green Day shirt was worn probably every other week of third grade.  I sported my side pony-tail with pride and a scrunchie.  I donned an oversized t-shirt and leggings with my socks scrunched up over them and was so hip-happening (in my opinion).  However, I had a fashion epiphany after the viewing of a certain film that somewhat snapped me out of my Teen Spirit obsession.  

It was 1996, and my mom purchased Clueless on VHS for me.  Cher Horowitz became my style icon.  After viewing it multiple times and sufficiently memorizing the script (my first introduction to Alaia!), I wanted to appear as if I had stepped right of of Cher's Beverly Hills High School--even if I was only seven years old.  White knee socks and pleated skirts dominated my wardrobe, and I became strangely obsessed with plaids and argyles.  Luckily, I didn't gain a penchant for odd fur covered accessories ("It's faux!").  

So today,  I looked down at my black over-the-knee socks and thought about Clueless, and how my seven-year-old self would be so jealous of said socks.  My life doesn't look like a Noxzema commercial, but since I can get that pleasure from sliding the same VHS (yes--VHS!) out of the beat-up-but-loved box, it doesn't have to!  So whether you prefer, "fashion victim or ensemble-y challenged," there is absolutely no reason any fashion-loving human being with a sense of humor should by pass seeing Clueless.


9 comments:

Vancouverista said...

Oh god. I could NOT agree with this more. I went to see this movie in theatres when it came out with my mom...I was 11. I wore plaid miniskirts the rest of the year!

Romany said...

Kudos to all the Clueless lovers out there! I was only 5 at the time but to this day it remains one my favourite ever movies...and, oh the fashion. If ever there was an icon to define 90s fashion, Cher Horowitz would be it.
I could never find a way to describe why and how much I love this movie, but not matter, you've just done it for me! ;)
I'm reading through your blog right now, and so far I like what I see...A lot. :)
Romany
xx

sridevi said...

Ah I love Clueless. I used to be obsessed with it. And i loved the serial of it even more, cause I could watch it every week! I never know when they play reruns though...

Wendy said...

Clueless is engraved into me as a child!

Romany said...

Oh yes I would love to trade links! Just give me one second...
Ok I added you to my favourites! :)
Keep in touch.
Romany
xx

Secretista said...

OMG. I went through a phase where I TRIED to copy their style. mMm... it wasn't too successful.

Othalia said...

oh my god...the good old days! *sigh* I loved clueless! matching plaid jackets and mini skirts paired with white knee sox and patent mary janes?! fabulous! Gossip girl could learn a thing or 2...hahaha
love the blog! :)

Monika said...

OOOOOOOOhhhhh, I love the 90ies, I love the music, grunge and Clueless!!
I watched it about 5 million times, hehe. I still have fluffy pens -the same as Cher! :-)

Othalia said...

Hi! thanks for the compliment!! To answer your question about my blog, its plain old photoshop...it takes time but its worthwhile! I have added you on my blogroll!