Friday, April 4, 2008

About Face.

I, like many other fashion/culture obsessed folks, am pretty religious about checking out Yvan the facehunter. I can always rely on his photography to serve as some inspiration for my sartorial choices.  There is always an abundance of unexpected combinations of colors, prints, and textures.  Because of his photographs, I have seriously considered rompers (I have yet to find one that is just right), worn sequins casually for day, figured out how to work over the knee socks in a way that isn't reminiscent of a slutty Halloween costume, and have been totally saved in the crucial moments before I am about to go out for the night and have NO IDEA about what I'm going to wear and there are a million articles of clothing already strewn about my room.  Yesterday was dark, gloomy, rainy, and so cold I could see my breath.  So not cool for April!  It's days like that when I have little to zero motivation to get out of bed let alone dress myself and face the elements.  With such little enthusiasm, my inspiration for an outfit was running on empty.  Then, I remembered the outfit I had saved to my desktop!  

I am obsessed with the rosette skirt.  If any of you know of where to find one: TELL ME.  The dark floral is something I would like to see more of.  It would be great way to wear florals on a night out this spring or summer.  Beyond that first stunning point, there are the sheer tights, which I haven't really flirted with yet, but there is a sexy smokiness to them that makes me think more Film Noir and less Warhol Factory Film than my beloved opaque black stockings.  Then she adds the fringed booties, which we know I have quite the affinity for, which adds a bohemian element to the dark look.  I'm a big fan of this Urban Hippie look that's on the rise, and I feel that the suede fringe adds just the right amount of this element to the look.  She also broke the whole, no-black-with-navy rule, which should definitely be thrown out, as most rules of fashion should.  The glossiness of her jacket and supple looking bag juxtapose her delicate looking tights and moccasin booties to perfection.  Obviously, I could not create a carbon copy of this bruise-palette ensemble, partly because I am not adorable and blonde, and partly because I am unfortunately lacking an amazing rosette skirt.  I really wanted to add a pair of elf-like Steve Madden fold over flat ankle boots, but the weather would not allow...

Black Dress (worn under shirt), cropped leather jacket, and buffalo plaid rain boots, Urban Outfitters; Sheer Navy T-shirt, really old; Grey tights, DKNY.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been drooling over that particular picture as well. I like your interpretation, too!

Human Racing said...

Great picture clicking on the link was actually the first time I've looked at facehunter. I haven o idea why though.

Great outfit too!

Romany said...

Yours may not be exactly the same but you've definitely added your own twist! Yours is a really cute outfit, in its own right, nice work! :)
Yeah I've never heard of FaceHunter either, I guess I'll have to check it out right?
Romany
xx

Cicely said...

Facehunter is quite frankly genius. It's so useful. I know exactly what you mean about panicking about what to wear and having clothes everywhere.
I love that photoshoot you did a bit ago. you have great, efforess style.

Ana said...

I'm adding you now.

Style On Track said...

I love that picture as well, I really love street style because it is coming from peoples minds, not hours of styling for a magazine ;)

Sally Jane Vintage said...

I have her photo saved too. That rosette skirt is perfection.

Sally Jane Vintage said...

As far as your question regarding an EBay store, my advice would be to expect it to be a lot more work than you think it's going to be. Don't get me wrong, it's also very rewarding and who can beat thrift shopping for a living? Just be prepared that between shopping for the clothes, taking and editing photos, writing up descriptions for every piece, maintaining the auction pages, preparing all the packages for shipping (including all the customs forms for international shipping), trips to the post office, etc... It really adds up to a lot of work. Best of luck to you if you decide to go for it! :)

Clumsy Girl said...

Great pictures! In the first pic. the outfit is extremely cute!

Secretista said...

Nicee interpretation!!!

zoeeeee said...

but those boots totally work too and they're really cute