Saturday, April 26, 2008

Scarf Bandit


So, how horrible of a blogger am I?  Don't say it!  I already know!  Abandoning the blog for a weeks time is unfortunate.  With only 9 days of classes left until finals though, I have been running ultra low on inspiration and even lower on the amount of time to devote to things that don't involve school/getting my life together to move back home for the summer.  While I have to admit that during some lecture classes I've spent more time dreaming of the ultimate summer wardrobe or what I'm going to wear to see Death Cab For Cutie than paying the utmost attention to things like the correlations between unemployment and inflation, I swear I have had a lot of actual school work to do as I'm sure most of you have!  With little time on my hands and chronically over sleeping, I have re-discovered the power of accessories.  You could say I have somewhat of an affinity for scarves.  They're so versatile, though.  Worn around a neck (like Faye Dunaway as Bonnie), through belt loops, saronged at the waist, in hair, or even twisted into a makeshift top: scarves can do about a million things. 
 
Although scarves in the hair have been a little too played out by Nicole Richie, they have roots! A head scarf was a necessity on a windy day as to not ruin a fly new 'do.   I've always wanted to pull off this style, displayed here by icon Edie Sedgwick:


...But, I'm afraid it would turn out a bit too much like this:
This site includes directions and step by step illustrations on how to tie scarves into various kinds of tops, etc.  For myself, I plan on tying scarves over a fitted solid t-shirt or tank, but for those of you who could pull off wearing a colorful square alone, do it!  Floaty scarves can take an otherwise bland outfit to a different place with of the moment floral, batik, or neon color block prints.  I have a pretty vast collection, ranging from birds perched on branches to surreal floral print with scalloped edges.  All of them have been collected from thrift stores, and I'm sure I have yet to wear every one yet.  

On  a non-scarf note, I leave you with my newest vintage find.  Cherry leather pixie boots that I will make appropriate for Spring!  

8 comments:

Amelia said...

I love scarves, too. They really jazz up an outfit and they're so cheap at thrift stores. Your scarf collection is amazing!

The Stylish Wanderer said...

ah yes, Im afraid Im a little too mad for scarves. (in a good way, if that makes sense)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Ha-ha, I just channeled Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde. I love the way a small scarf makes me feel like a villain.

Lola said...

i wish i could own all of those scarves in the second 2 last pic
and the boots!
rtf
rtf
rtf

Ana said...

It's ok. School..is so TIME CONSUMING. aha..way too much hw.

I love scarfs as well. Timeless and they add chic polish.

Wendy said...

Those boots are gorgeous, do make lots of outfits with them!

Sam said...

great scarves! <3
and i know you have already been tagged, but i tagged you!
check out my blog for the info!

Riley said...

how have you not worn your scarves yet?!?!?! I wear scarves like everyday! haha And awesome boots