Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Playing Favorites

It all started with the t-shirt for me.  When I really got into thrifting around six years ago, all I bought were strange, vintage t-shirts.  My habits have yet to change.  Every time I find myself in a DAV or Goodwill, I bolt for the kids' section in search of another gem to add my huge collection.  With such an ample supply, it is hard for me to choose a favorite...kind of.  I have narrowed it down with three to show you.  All are thread-bare and soft as butter, some with questionable markings from owners past.  The tags have frayed or just come off completely.  And I love them just as I love some of the beautiful vintage dresses I own.  I like to see myself as an equal opportunity wearer.  Even if you consider yourself a fashionista of the highest standards, I don't care: Girl has got to have her t-shirts.  
Pictured above is a shirt that I've only had for the past year, maybe.   Yeah...I don't get it either.  

Alright, so this isn't really vintage.  Unless you see 1998 as far enough in the past to be considered vintage.  This shirt I actually stole from my boyfriend.  It's a souvenir from his boy scout camp.  He got free reign to decorate a t-shirt, and this is how it turned out.  Puffy paint never looked so regal.   
Few things are better than sporting an artistically illustrated Captain Kirk and Spok.  This shirt was wedged between about a million others in a huge, bi-annual, hospital rummage sale.  The date of copyright on the shirt is 1985, I think.  I'm not sure how successful Star Trek IV was, but I thank my lucky stars that it produced this t-shirt for my wearing pleasure.  Not pictured (but should be!) is my "We are the World" shirt, which I WILL include on this blog sometime.  Honorable mention to: My Alf 1987 shirt.  You put up a good fight.  
And, because I have pictures, today's outfit!


Eyelet Dress, Kimichi and Blue; Green Cardigan, pink 40's deco belt, vintage; tights, bloch; mouse flats, Marc by Marc Jacobs.

6 comments:

Romany said...

"Are we having fun yet?" -- haha oh my how adorably random!
Cute collection you have here...can't wait to see more!
Unfortunately I can't wear t-shirts with pictures or slogans due to my, ahem, "front-loaders" (ugh - that makes them sound like washing machines. Lol.) but they look awesome on other people.
Romany
xx
p.s. cute dress!!

lee jones said...

i like the piggy one. cute shirts : )

1234 said...

I LOVE YOUR MARC FLATS!! theyre soooo cute!!
link up?

Secretista said...

Everything's too cute!

Louise said...

i adore those marc flats. did you buy them recently? i've been looking for them in black or white for forever, but the last time i saw them in stores, they only sold silver :(

bah_humbug said...

I love your blog...definitely the best one I've come across :)
I love it that you write about topics that I would never have thought could be related to fashion (mousie post)
VERYYYYYY IMPRESSEDDDDDDD!!!